(This page last updated 1/29/2018)
ORGANIZATION OF THIS PAGE:
- Section A lists the LAYOUTS in Phoenix AZ, that are OPEN TO THE PUBLIC — at least ONCE per week. This list is organized by CITY. Some of the layouts are “ride-on” amusement park size.
- Page 2 shows these same layouts, but organized by SCALE.
- Section B lists additional layouts that are open to the public, but less than once per week.
- Section C lists the remaining model RR groups that do not have a permanent layout.
- Section D lists some other Phoenix-area model RR resources.
- Section E lists the Arizona layouts and model RR clubs that are OUTSIDE the Phoenix area.
- The NMRA list of Arizona Clubs has more ‘clubs’ info: azdiv-nmra.org/azclubs.shtml
SECTION A. — CLUBS, PARKS, & STORES VIEWABLE AT LEAST 1 DAY PER WEEK:
- Anthem: Daisy Mountain RR (ride-on train) in the community park, DaisyMountainRailroad.com
- Apache Junction: Obies Trains, ObiesTrains.com – Model railroad store, has N gauge layout, plus small HO and O gauge layouts. CLICK HERE to view several photos in the PhxRail Picasa album.
- Apache Junction: Superstition Mountain Museum Railroad, SuperstitionMountainMuseum.org/attractions/smmrr-railroad | The new ’50’ x 60′ layout opened Nov 2016, & operates several days a week in winter. The original small 12’x12′ layout is operated year round . Volunteers are Wanted to help operate these railroads. | Museum’s Youtube video | More photos are at DutchmansGulch.wordpress.org.
- Chandler: Desert Breeze RR (ride-on train) in Desert Breeze Park, DesertBreezeRR.com – Photos at ArizonaAndPacificRR.com/spot/desertbreeze/newdesertbreeze.html
- Fountain Hills: Burlings Ton of Trains, TonOfTrains.com – Store, no operating layouts, but vast amounts of trains in all gauges to look at.
- Gilbert: Freestone RR, in Freestone Park – FreeStoneRR.com , photos at ArizonaAndPacificRR.com/spot/freestone/freestone.html (ride-on train).
- Gilbert: Gilbert Model Railroad Club, HO ga. layout, GmrcTrains.com – 3rd Tue is “run night”.
- Glendale: The 3 railroad groups at this Railroad Park are described by about 4 different websites as follows:
** Adobe Mountain Desert Railroad Park, AdobeMtnDesertRRpark.com, Open to public on Sat’s & Sun’s. Includes 1-1/2″ live steam, indoor & outdoor G, HO, and N gauges
** Arizona Model Railroading Society, AzModelRR.com and facebook.com/azmodelrr
** Arizona Model Railroading Society‘s N gauge layout, open to public on weekends, Click Here for photos, and Click Here to read about it.
** Arizona Model Railroading Society‘s Largescale outdoor layout, open to public on weekends, Click Here for photos, and Click Here to read about it.
** Sahuaro Central Railroad Heritage Preservation Society & Museum’s indoor Largescale layout, open to public on weekends, Several Layout Photos Here.
** Maricopa Live Steamers – MaricopaLiveSteamers.com
-part of Adobe Mountain Desert Railroad Park. Has about 14 miles (yes,
that’s fourteen!) miles of 1-1/2″ scale live steam track, open to public on Sundays.
- Litchfield Park: Wildlife World Zoo‘s miniature ride-on train – WildlifeWorld.com/attractions/safari.shtml , more photos at ArizonaAndPacificRR.com/spot/wildlife/wildlife.html
- Mesa: Arizona Train Depot, ArizonaTrainDepot.com and facebook.com/ArizonaTrainDepot, Model railroad store at 755 East McKellips Road, Mesa, AZ
- Mesa: Banner Desert Medical Center 1/2: Arizona Big Train Operators
permanent indoor display layout inside the Cardon Children’s Medical
Center, inside Banner Desert Medical Center in Mesa, Photos at AzBigTrains.org/cardonrailroad.html . You should be able to view this layout 24 hours a day, as it’s in the public part of the hospital. The 3 trains run when you push a button.
Note: Expect to get LOST, as this hospital seems to be a huge MAZE.
- Mesa: Banner Desert Medical Center 2/2: ‘Trains For Kids by Isabelle‘ – Facebook.com/TrainsForIsabelle – John Macrone’s outdoor largescale layout at Banner Desert Medical Center for the kids. Archive page showing original layout is at TrainsByIsabelle.blogspot.com . You should be able to view this layout 24 hours a day, as it can be viewed from the public part of the hospital. (Note as of May 2017, this part of the hospital is inaccessable due to construction.)
- Mesa: Valle Del Oro, Garden Railway Club, Youtube Video. This layout is inside the gated Valle Del Oro RV park, but you can usually view it on Thursday morning during their “Country Store” hours. See the Valle Del Oro website events page to confirm. Click here to view several layout photos.
- Phoenix: Enchanted Island Express (ride-on train), in Encanto Park – EnchantedIsland.com/rides.php , photos at ArizonaAndPacificRR.com/spot/encanto/encanto.html
- Queen Creek: Schnepf Farms RR at Schnepf Farms (ride-on train), SchnepfFarms.com , photos at ArizonaAndPacificRR.com/spot/schnepf/schnepf.html
- Scottsdale: The 5 railroad groups at this location are described by about 5 different websites as follows:
** McCormick-Stillman Railroad Park, TheRailroadPark.com – This park is open 7 days a week, and includes a 2′ ga. amusement park train, 1-1/2″ scale live steam, and O, HO, and N gauge layouts.
** Sun N Sand NTRAK MRC – sun-n-sand.org.
** Scottsdale Model Railroad Historical Society, ScottsdaleMrhs.org – operates a HO & HOn3 layout.
** Paradise & Pacific RR – PandPrr.com – operates a 3-rail O gauge layout.
** Scottsdale Live Steamers – ScottsdaleLiveSteamers.com – operates a 1-1/2″ scale, 7-1/2″ gauge ride-on layout.
- Sun City: Sun City Model Railroad Club, HO layout, suncityaz.org/recreation/clubs/model-railroad-club-of-sun-city , Richard Haworth’s narrated ‘Update #4’ Youtube video describes the layout. Layout can be viewed Tue., Thur, and Sat during winter months.
- Sun City West: Sun City West Model Railroad Club, HO, N, & G scale layouts, sites.google.com/site/scwmodelrailroadclub (and also railroad.scwclubs.com. Richard Haworth’s narrated Youtube video describes the layout.
The HO and N layouts can be viewed Mon, Tue, Wed, Thur, and Fri. The outdoor largescale layout operates Tue., Thur., and Sat during winter months — see the schedule page.
- Surprise: Sun City Grand, Grand Central Railroad Park, Outdoor largesacle layout, GrandCentralRailroad.info and facebook.com/GrandCentralRailroad. Richard Haworth’s narrated Youtube video shows this layout in operation.
The outdoor largescale layout operates Thur., Fri., and Sat during winter months — see the schedule page.
SECTION B. — GROUPS W/LAYOUTS, VIEWABLE LESS THAN 1 DAY PER WEEK:
- Glendale: West Valley RR Historical Society – no website??, Youtube video
- Goodyear: Pebble Creek Model Railroad Club, pcmrc.org – Public can see this layout on certain selected ‘run days’, see website for details.
** Pebble Creek Model Railroad Club‘s garden layout – pcmrc.org/garden – Public can see this layout on certain selected ‘run days’, see website for details.
- Mesa: Leisure World Model Railroad Club – Located inside the
gated 55+ Leisure World community in Mesa. Currently has an O gauge
MTH DCS layout with 300 feet of track and 18 turnouts. Plans are also
underway for a Largescale outdoor layout, and a new O gauge layout. More info is on the PhxRail.org Leisure World page.
- Phoenix: Ryan House. This is a hospice-type care center for terminally-ill children. (Please note that this layout is normally accessible only to residents and their family.) They have an Eagle Wings Ironcraft elevated layout in rear patio. Click Here to view photos in the PhxRail.org Picasa web album. The Ryan House website is RyanHouse.org
- Phoenix: Thunderbird Model RR Club, HO Layout ThunderbirdModelRRclub.com
SECTION C. — PHX-AREA MODEL RR GROUPS – WITHOUT A PERMANENT LAYOUT:
- Arizona Big Train Operators, AzBigTrains.org – meets 3rd Sat round robin at members’ layouts.
- Arizona Division of the Pacific Southwest Region of the NMRA – azdiv-nmra.org
- Arizona Lego User Group, CactusBrick.com – Builds temporary Lego display layouts.
- Grand Canyon Model Railroaders, gcmrr.org – Meets 4th Sat at Our Savior’s Lutheran Church in East Phoenix. (Also other gauges.)
- Grand Canyon State Model Railroaders, groups.yahoo.com/group/GCSMR – HO modular layout.
- Ponderosa North Model Railroad Club, ArizonaRails.com/pncpage.html – Round robin group.
- Sun Lakes: Short Line Model Railroad Club, building N ga. modules SLmodelRrClub.org
- Train Collectors Association, Desert Division, TcaDd.org – Meets 2nd Sat at Shepherd of the Valley Lutheran Church in west Phoenix. (Also other gauges.)
- “Valley Of The Sun” S-Gaugers, sGaugers.com – Meets usually 1st Sat round robin at members’ layouts.
SECTION D. — OTHER PHX-AREA MODEL RR RESOURCES:
- The “MASTER LIST” of Phoenix model and prototype railroad links is located on Mark Redmond’s “Arizona Rails” links page, ArizonaRails.com/az_rail_links.html . Many of the links on this page have been copied from his page.
- This website an attempt to list some of those model RR clubs in the Phoenix area, organized by location.
- NMRA list of Arizona Clubs: azdiv-nmra.org/azclubs.shtml
- Sayre Brothers’, Guide to Arizona’s Miniature Railroads – ArizonaAndPacificRR.com/spot/guide.html (part of Arizona & Pacific website listed above).
- Smallworld Miniature Club of Phoenix – PhoenixMiniatures.com
SECTION E. — MISC ARIZONA LAYOUTS AND CLUBS, OUTSIDE THE PHOENIX AREA
- Flagstaff: Flagstaff MRC, flagmrrc.org
- Prescott: Central Arizona MRC, trainweb.org/camrrc
- Prescott: Prescott Valley NTRAK, ntrak.org/prescott_valley_ntrak.htm
- Sierra Vista: Cochise & Western MRC, cwmrrc.site11.com
- Show Low: Pine Shadow Largescale Group, layout under construction inside Pine Shadow community. More details on PhxRail.org’s Pine Shadow page
- Show Low: Silver Creek Model Railroaders HO Layout in the
Show Low Historical Society Museum. Trains run Wednesdays and Saturdays
from 10 am to 3 pm. More details on PhxRail.org’s Silver Creek page
- Tuscon: Arizona and Southwest Model Railroad Society, TucsonNtrak.com (N ga)
- Tuscon: Gadsden-Pacific Division Toy Train Operating Museum, gpdToyTrainMuseum.com
- Tucson: Southern Arizona Society of Model Engineers, sasme.org (HO)
- Tuscon: Tucson Garden Railway Society, TucsonGrs.org
- Yuma: Yuma Model Railroaders, YumaModelRailroaders.org (multi-ga)
SECTION F. — CLOSED STORES & DISCONTINUED RAILROADS
- Apache Junction, Memory Lane Collectibles: A collectibles store, with several model railroad displays in several scales. CLICK HERE to view several photos in the PhxRail Picasa album. CLOSED 12/2014. Planning to reopen in No. Phoenix area.